Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Do You Need The Apple Watch?


Share/Bookmark


I have been reading and watching all the press around the Apple watch and I ask myself whether I or anyone really needs this watch. I stopped wearing a watch years ago as I can look at my iPhone and get the time. So why do I now need the Apple watch?

Let's compare the Apple watch to other similar devices and see if we can discover a compelling reason to get the Apple watch.

My wife uses the Nike+ Fuel...she works out and I don't but that is for another post.  The Nike+Fuel is only for tracking your work out and measuring your movements.  And you still need the app for iOS to track and share your activity with your iPhone. The Nike+Fuel is only for exercise related activities but it is easy and convenient.  You are not using your Nike+Fuel for anything else. Period.  It is for tracking your exercise and movements.

The Apple Watch may track exercise related activities as well if not better than a Nike+Fuel, but you will still need to share your activity with your iPhone.  But since the Apple Watch will have multiple functions, will it be as easy and convenient as the Nike+Fuel?  And if the reason for a device to wear on your wrist is for exercise only, paying $79 for the Nike+Fuel is far cheaper than $349 for the Apple Watch and probably having to pay for an exercise app.

The thing that both the Nike+Fuel and Apple Watch have in common is the need to use the iPhone. Do we really need the Apple Watch at a high price, which works only if you have an iPhone 6 in your wallet.  Why not use the phone you already have? 

I have a Bushnell Neo XS golf watch, which provides the time and date like a normal watch, but is pre-loaded with over 30,000 golf courses. When I go to the course, I hit play golf, select the course and up comes the distance to the hole.  The screen is easy to read and automatically updates to the next hole. The watch can be used for 3 rounds of golf before it needs to be charged.  And if not used for golf, the watch can run for months before needing a charge.  

Again, the Apple Watch may have a number of apps available for golf, and there is one available now for $29.99, but will they be as easy and straightforward as my Bushnell?  Will the apps have too many features? Will the apps want to keep attempting to cross-sell or upgrade me?  

When playing golf I want it to work easily and automatically without any distractions.  The Bushnell costs around $199 and it only is good for golf. Period.  The Apple Watch will cost me $349 plus $29.00 for the golf app, but I can do more than just play golf.  

The battery life could be a concern, with the Apple Watch getting 18 hours with mixed use.  Will it actually last for an entire round of golf?  Or 3 rounds of golf like my Bushnell?  There has been articles saying that the user has to continue to "flick your wrist" to wake up the watch so it does not run down your battery.  Will I have to flick my wrist to get the distance for my next golf shot?  I hope not.  

The bottom line is that I am not going to buy the Apple Watch - at least not now.  There are too many unknowns with the Apple Watch for me to make the investment.  

It seems having a "specific use" type of watch may be the best approach for me in terms of cost and functionality.  I will wait and see what apps are available, the cost of the apps, battery life, etc. before buying the Apple Watch.








No comments:

Post a Comment